Saturday 7 May 2016

Day 6 - part 1 Cockfosters to Enfield Lock

Obviously, this seemed a good idea at the time I did my preparation. It was the day after the fire at Vauxhall and South West Trains said it was all ok again. And it was! So, back to Cockfosters but via a faster route than the one I had to use to get home yesterday. I put in a formal complaint about the cleanliness of the ladies toilet, I feel it's my duty, especially if I've had to pay 20p.

There are a lot of parks, country parks and the inevitable golf courses are around here, and hills, so it's very leafy and open and good for walking. They like obelisks too.

Seemingly a garden orrnament but bigger than the neighbour's
I think you can London from up here
When I tell people what I'm doing for my holiday, the first reaction, because I work for a charity, is often "Oh are you being sponsored", and the second is "Who are you doing it with?" Folk don't seem to understand the simple joy of just getting out there under your own steam and seeing stuff. Although, just occasionally, it would be handy to have someone with me and there was one of those moments today. Some of you will know about my vertigo issues, have even witnessed it. I'd come across a chap who was also LOOPing and he was slightly ahead of me as we approached this bridge. No way was I going to ask him to help me. So, up I went and strangely it was the up that was the worst. I almost, almost, resorted to crawling up the steps. I took a breather at top of the descent and I lived. Again.

Nasty eh?
To be fair to my fellow LOOPer, we did have a chat after the bridge, he was doing the circuit as and when having started in February. He'd started at Erith which is conventional, mostly because you can't get directly from the previous section in Purfleet very directly or easily unless you have a helicopter. This meant he didn't have much left to do. We wished each other well and he departed to go to Enfield Lock station. He expressed admiration that I was planning to go on to Chigwell and thought it was 4 miles. If only.

Not many photos, it was all woods and green stuff and you've probably seen quite a bit of that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment